Founders Wall ,
The concept of a Hebrew University emerged at the inception of the Zionist movement.
The Zionist activist and the forefather of the Jewish National Fund, Prof. Zvi Hermann Shapira, was among those who promoted the idea. In 1902, Dr. Chaim Weizmann, the prominent scientist, president of the World Zionist Organization and first president of the State of Israel, Prof. Martin Buber, the philosopher, and Dr. Berthold Feivel, a Zionist activist, presented a specific proposal to establish a higher institute of Jewish learning.
In 1913, the 11th Zionist Congress voted to establish a university in Jerusalem, and in July 1918, the foundation stones were laid on Mount Scopus on land acquired through a donation by the philanthropist Y.L. Goldberg. Prof. Albert Einstein, the distinguished scientist, was among those enlisted to attract scholars and raise funds for the new university.
Three research institutes were established at the university prior to its formal opening under the leadership of Dr. Judah Leib Magnes. The inauguration of the university was held on April 1, 1925, in the presence of leading figures from the land of Israel and abroad, including representatives of foreign universities and officials of the British government, among them Lord Balfour.
In the 1930s and 1940s, the university absorbed additional scholars and saw a growth in student enrollment. The National Library and other research institutions were established on Mount Scopus. During the Second World War, the university contributed significantly of its intellectual talents and physical efforts to the struggle. During the War of Independence, the university was forced to abandon its home and to relocate to various locations in Jerusalem. In 1958 the new campus at Givat Ram was dedicated. Following the Six-Day War of 1967, the university returned to Mount Scopus. This wall is a tribute to the founders of the Hebrew University.
Dedicated in 5773/2013 – the 100th anniversary of the decision to establish the Hebrew University by the Zionist Congress
The Central Archive of The Hebrew University
The Albert Einstein Archives of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The Central Zionist Archives
Government Press Office (Israel)
Kedem Auction House
Concept: Billy Shapira
Curator: Michal Mor
Academic: Advisor Dr. Assaf Selzer
Designers: Ido Bruno | Sonja Olitsky
Ceramic: Vera Davidson | Dafna Gallia